Pages

6.10.13

I'm still here.



I'm working on getting this blog going again but today I have something really important that I wanted to talk about.



Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30,000 Americans every year.

Many who attempt suicide never seek professional care.

Over half of all suicides occur in adult men, ages 25-65.

For young people 15-24 years old, suicide is the third leading cause of death.

There are an estimated 8 to 25 attempted suicides to 1 completion.

Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the U.S. (homicide is 15th). (CDC)

It is estimated that there are at least 4.5 million survivors in this country. (AAS)


I am someone who on several occasions felt that suicide might be the only way out. 
I am someone who has lost a loved one to suicide.
I can attest that the pain and confusion are at times still very fresh and raw from exactly 12 years ago today. 
I can remember all too well the feelings of helplessness and despair.

I have no words for how highly I recommend seeking help by reaching out to someone.

The world is full of resources and people who actually want to help you.

Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

I can personally and highly attest to the talents of the wonderful people who work at The Samaritans  even now when I'm a little bit stressed out I can shoot them an email to try to sort things out. As someone who despises talking on the phone (especially to strangers) this is a priceless resource.




Here's something from the comments section from the video that hits home:

When you ask students "what words do you hear used to describe some one with a mental health challenge?" They say: CRAZY, NUTS, SCIZO, WEIRD, PYSCHO...When you ask them what words do you heard used to describe someone with Cancer, Diabetes, or any physical disability...They say: Sick.....Why do people need to see it to have empathy?

The stigma needs to go.

I'm here if you need to talk.



No comments:

Post a Comment