Pages

14.11.12

It's NEVER too early!



I love Christmas. I was raised by the king of tacky Christmas decorations. Despite my share of Christmas time tragedy over the years it has not managed to diminish my love for the season. So what's my favorite part about all of it? The Stuff.

I'm not talking about presents, I'm actually a really awkward gift receiver. I'm talking about the music, the movies, the decorations, the craft projects, the baked goods, etc. Now if the grinch taught us anything it's that you can't stop Christmas from coming, even if you take away all of that awesome stuff. I'm not trying to take away from the spirit of good cheer and giving. I'm a bit undecided on the religious aspect, but I can certainly stand behind the concept of Santa Clause.

I guess I just really enjoy the extra sensory stimulation that comes with this time of year.

I know what you're thinking. This time of year? But it's not even Thanksgiving yet!

I hate to break it to you but, sorry Thanksgiving, you don't come with songs and shiny decorations so I'm not waiting until after you to get into the swing of things. It's bad enough I have to wait for you to be over to decorate but I've already started Christmas crafting, I've also listend to hours and hours of Christmas music and even watched the following Christmas movies:



Wow, even I'm surprised by all the ones I've already viewed. I'm even more shocked to find out I've pretty much burned through all of my "must watch at least once" Christmas staples. 

I asked some facebook friends what their favorite Christmas movies were, someone said The Godfather, I can't say that's a Christmas favorite in my house, neither is Die Hard. 

I was shocked however to learn that there are people who don't like A Christmas Story. II don't think I could ever pick a hands down favorite but if I was forced to this one would be mine. So I found myself completely dumb founded that someone may not love the crap out of it as I do. I was given the following reason: "I bloody HATE Christmas Story. My dad used to make us watch it for, like, 18 straight hours growing up. You would hate it if you watched it for 18 straight hours every f*ing year. And your dad laughed at the same damn spots EVERY FRIGGIN TIME."

The truth is, I pretty much spend 18 hours straight watching it every year and not only do I laugh at all the same parts but as The Beef so kindly pointed out I make the same comments over and over again.

Case in point, in the scene where Ralphie kicks the crap out of Scut Farkus his mother shows up, calms him down and takes him home, just leaving the other kid CRYING and BLEEDING in the snow. She just LEAVES HIM THERE after her son senselessly beat him! I can't help but commenting on that every single time, not matter how hard I try not to.  I can recite the movie in my sleep but it still gets me every single time, I'm actually sitting here giggling as I think about it.

I quote the movie all year long without even noticing, when The Beef had his first view last year (I know...I know...) he was surprised to find how familiar he was with so many of the lines already.

God help us if there's no glue in the house or someone makes meatloaf for dinner. I've already got a tasty replacement for the Eff dash dash dash word and I even know some Italian.

Anyway, I've gotten off track here, but I do want to mention that once upon a time I got my kid brother to show mommy how the piggies ate with mashed potatoes at the dinner table, something that brought my father and I to tears with laughter.

Alright enough of that!

So, how crazy do you think I am? Has the Christmas bug bitten you as well?



No comments:

Post a Comment