Pages

8.6.12

I love rushing seasons.


So if you ever hang around me at the tail end of summer you already know that all I can focus on is fall. This is probably because I start celebrating summer way before it happens. As far as I'm concerned it's been summer for a few months now. Unseasonably warm weather in March put the nail in the coffin for me. So here you go, my 5 favorite things about summer.

1. Camping

My first camping trip of the season was on March 20th this year. I had to hunt like crazy to find a camp ground that was open but I did it and it was glorious. I've never gone camping that early but weather providing I intend to from now on. I had another camping adventure in April and then again in May. I'm working on planning something for June as well.
My parents started me out camping around the beginning of my existence and I've never stopped, it is my happy place. I completely lucked out that the Beef is more than up for any camping adventures I can think of, even though he can't build a campfire to save his life. 

2. The Lake

Lake George located in New York is my all time favorite body of water. It's a bit of a drive to get there so I have to make due with the one pictured above, I am not complaining. That's the lake where we have access to a private beach and our boat slip, so if I'm up for laying by the water, swimming, fishing or just tooling around on the boat there it is. We spent a ton of time on the other side of this lake last summer and I'm expecting this year will be no different.

3. Fire

If there is one thing we do right about here it would have to be fires. They are not just for camping anymore. They are for whenever the heck you want them. Fire is one of those amazing things that (as long as I'm not too close) rejuvenates my soul. 

4. BBQ

I think the world ends if the weather turns nice and you don't start grilling something. You can't even prove me wrong because it just does not happen. It's also pretty rare that you'll be standing out on the deck by yourself grilling something, something about sizzling meat makes folks show up and that's fine by me. If it's just the two of us or a dozen people I don't care, the sizzling symphony is good enough for me.

5. Fireflies

If you are not fortunate enough to be acquainted with these magical little buggers I feel like your summers have been incomplete. By the time I was ten years old I probably killed about a thousand of them because the jar on my bedside table didn't have any air holes. I'll never forget the magical glow in my room provided by their sacrifice. 
*moment of silence for the senseless killing of rear lighted insects*
These days I let them go about their business and don't try to turn them into lightening fixtures. Something about sitting out on the deck when it starts to get dark and seeing their little flicker makes me feel like I'm 10 again, which is pretty much perfect. 

So what about you? What are your favorite things about summer?


No comments:

Post a Comment