Pages

21.5.13

The Story

Back in March I confessed to a friend that I suspected The Beef was planning to propose during my annual birthday camping trip. A few weeks later he accidentally confirmed it.
Ever since it's been the elephant in the room.

Mother's day weekend was insane at work, we were short staffed, tons of extra people were there to visit their mom's and it was sweltering. Easily the worst weekend I've ever worked at my job. Monday wasn't much better and I ended up working late because the next shift was short staffed. Knowing I had Tuesday & Wednesday off from work I embraced my workout rest day and had some *cough* cocktails with friends.

When I woke up Tuesday morning I was wondering if the bus that hit me survived. Aside from hanging out with one of the cutest babies on the planet and cleaning my car I didn't get much accomplished except for laying on the couch. This meant that my workout rest day turned into two rest days which was bad news because I'd been hoping to squeeze in an extra workout in on my day off to finish the program earlier.

This sets up the scene for Wednesday where I figured if I spaced them out right I could get three workouts in. I woke up bright and early and completed the first insanity workout without my brain even knowing it was awake yet. After some breakfast and chores I still wasn't quite up for working out so I did more chores. After a light lunch I hit my next workout hard and it hit back even harder.

I decided I'd need a hell of a rest if I was going to move further. So when The Beef got home he found me in my red plaid snuggie in all of my post workout stank glory on the couch crying for my mommy conserving my energy for the next go around.



I hate working out when there's someone else in the house so I was relieved to find out that he'd be going over to a friends to mow his lawn. At this point I was getting anxious to workout and he was taking his sweet time leaving the house. All of a sudden he plops down on the couch next to me and comments that his pulse is racing and asks me to check it.

Sure enough his heart is about to beat right out of his neck. My mind starts spinning wondering if he's been bitten by something or if he's had some medication that's suddenly showing horrible side effects. Dr. House I am not, so I started to go numb in the brain, which might explain my confusion as he pulled a small hand carved wooden box out of his pocket and said, "I got you this."

I took the box in my hand and stared at it in shock. I knew this was the ring box that he made me because I'd seen it before during his accidental proposal confirmation. Still, something in my brain wasn't working and I asked what it was and if it was for me. As I opened the box and saw the ring all I could do was stare, shocked in silence and ask again if it was for me. He took it upon himself to officially pop the question and finally my brain started working because I was able to say yes.

And if you must know shortly after the proposal he did leave the house to mow the lawn and I got my 3rd workout it. It was business as usual until a few hours later when we visited my mother to share the good news.

So what happened to the camping trip proposal? 
To be honest, it's not completely that he got the ring and just couldn't wait, though that's the romantic conclusion every seems to jump to. I knew it was coming and as he put it when could he possibly do it?
Not before we left: I'd be getting home from work and in a hurry to hit the road.
Not on the drive up: We might crash and die.
What about the first night: The high likely hood of alcohol consumption wouldn't go over well, failure to consume alcohol would cause suspicion.
The next morning: Button is not a gracious person in the morning.

Etc... See where I'm going with this? How far into the weekend could he have gone before one or both of us had gone crazy. Visions of him chucking the ring box at my head shouting "HERE TAKE IT" filled my head.

So even though he blew the initial surprise he still managed to surprise my sweaty ass.

So when's the wedding?
None of your business! Honestly, the fact that this is the first question everyone asks (even people with dementia) is creepy. I don't even like weddings (more on that later).

OMG SHOW ME THE RING!!!



So there it is, THE STORY, in print. Hopefully I can stop telling it now.

4 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHH IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love love love your ring. Solitaire round diamonds are my FAVORITE. And that hand carved box is just the sweetest thing.

    CONGRATULATIONS to you both! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete